[GLLUG] New to Linux and off to a rough start

Lachniet, Mark mlachniet at sequoianet.com
Wed Oct 19 12:43:05 EDT 2005

Just a thought - if you don't have local users (ie, people logging in to a shell) you can probably skip most all of the kernel updates.  They mostly address odd performance issues, and local security issues.  If people don't have a shell on the box, the local security issues aren't as big of a worry.  For machines that are just web servers, where only administrators log in, I skip them entirely unless there is a hardware/driver issue.

In regards to your current problem, you could probably fix it in one of two ways - either back down to a previous kernel version (by modifying your boot loader config file) or possibly figure out if there are some flags that you need to pass when the module loads.  For the network - to test this, you could boot w/out network support, and then try doing 'insmod e1000.o' with various flags.  For a list of the various flags you might try look to http://www.intel.com/support/network/sb/cs-009209.htm for more information.  I would bet that your old kernel had some flags set that your new one doesn't have for some reason.  Same thing with your i2o driver.

Although it may be overly painful, you could also get the drivers from net and replace the ones that are causing your problems, though it shouldn't be necessary.

Mark Lachniet