[GLLUG] New to Linux and off to a rough start

Sean O'Malley picasso at madflower.com
Wed Oct 19 13:09:57 EDT 2005

There is a key you can hit that will manually go through the boot process
(I?)  without resorting to booting directly into single user mode.

I don't have a system to point out the key, but it is displayed before it
starts saying stuff like "loading networking OK" type of stuff and you
have like 3 seconds to hit the key.

Run through that manually, and find out exactly what it is choking on.
Then do it again but skip loading it the next time around.

Finish the boot, and if it isn't networking, I would rerun up2date or yum
or whatever you need to do to run an update.

Then go through the process again to see if it fixes the problem.

If that doesn't work, go back and 2x check and make sure you updated the
kernel boot settings. It may have accidently installed a new module for a
new kernel, removed the old one, but is booting into the old kernel and
not the new one. OR you installed a module for a program for the old
kernel and the new kernel doesn't like it.

Or as was mentioned before missing one of the boot flags for a piece of
hardware.

I think once you isolate the issue as to what particular module it is, you
will be able to figure it out the issue rather quickly.

Sean