[GLLUG] New to Linux and off to a rough start

David Ray daev67 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 19 16:36:41 EDT 2005

NOHOTPLUG=1

Being a Windows guy, the last successful
module/device/service before a server hang was usually
the problem.  I tried apm=off and acpi=off, I tried
multiple kernels, I tried uninstalling software and
modules.  My cut off time for resolving this was 5pm
today.  I have about 100 hours into this.

About 4:15pm, I noticed the message suggesting
NOHOTPLUG=1 during the boot process but it was very
early in the process.  With nothing to lose, I added
it to the boot parameters.

How serious a computer geek do you have to be when the
site of a booting server brings tears to your eyes?

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

FWIW, Novell/SuSE did provide some support as far as a
few suggestions but pointed out that my hardware
wasn't certified.  Doing some research, it appears it
was for SLES 8 but not any longer.  Additionally, SLES
10 sounds sweet for newbies like me!