[GLLUG] How can a Wiki be used?

Karl Schuttler rexykik at gmail.com
Tue Apr 25 01:23:12 EDT 2006

Internally, we at Ideal Solution use it for documentation of things as
well. We also used to use it as sort of a contact/project manager, but
found that it was really bastardizing what it was designed for. We
since have migrated to using a contact relations manager independant
of it for our projects, and have begun to use the wiki for soully
documentation and procedures.

Essentially, it is meant for us to be a sort of training manual and
reference. The idea is that if you need to know how to do something,
you look it up and it will tell you how to do it, and if you find any
pitfalls you document it. Also, we have it split into departments, and
have integrated some things in such as prices we might charge for
various services.

Well, this is at least my take on it. Maybe the rest of the crew can
further clearify.

Karl

On 4/24/06, Jason Green <jave27 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/24/06, Frank Dolinar <frank.dolinar at comcast.net> wrote:
> >      I'm looking at wiki software from the point of view of understanding
> > all the things it can do.  Further, I'm trying to see how a wiki might be
> > used in ways other than something like Wikipedia, for instance.
> >      What interesting uses can you think of for a wiki and why do you think
> > it would be valuable in that role?
>
> We use it at my office in the MIS department to document all of our
> internal procedures.  There are 5 of us on staff now, and we began
> realizing how much there is to learn when a new person comes on board.
>  So, we basically just came up with the shell of an organizational
> pattern to use, and started adding topics to the wiki that were
> crucial to our role in the company (what software do we use, how do
> you install it, where do we go to look for licensing, who uses this
> piece of software, who's the vendor, what's our support contract
> status, what are other alternatives to possibly use in the future, how
> do we maintain _____, etc.)
>
> The great part is that you can just put brackets around something that
> you know you need to talk about more, and come back to it later.  It
> will bug you every time you go to that page if there's a little
> question mark next to it telling you that there's no details about
> that topic, so eventually you fill it in.
>
> That documentation has become invaluable to us, and we constantly
> refer to it.  There are really only 2 of us that wrote the majority of
> the content, and it's already up to about 300 pages worth, all
> cross-linked and somewhat easy to navigate.
>
> We tried rolling one out to our non-technical executive team, but they
> really didn't like the idea of having to learn a markup language, and
> they really just saw it as "one more thing to check for updates", so
> that didn't really fly.  Having a wiki with a Rich-text editor would
> be fantastic, and I'm sure they exist, I just haven't gone looking in
> a while.
>
> Hope this helps!

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of
in your philosophy.