[GLLUG] Programming logic & design

Bong Munoz bongmunoz at gmail.com
Thu Apr 27 09:48:22 EDT 2006

On 4/27/06, Brian Beck <beckbria at msu.edu> wrote:

> Caleb Cushing wrote:
>
> I know it's not free, but if you're willing to consider a book, I highly
> reccomend Stanley Lippeman's "C++ Primer".

C++?! Are we talking about a language to learn programming? I've been using
C++ for a decade or so and I continue to learn more things about it. You
want someone to learn how to program. We want the broad brush strokes
instead of the niggly details like pointer aliasing.

I have to go with the suggestion for Python. It's got a clean syntax and
very nice basic data abstractions like lists and dictionaries. The biggest
plus is that, like Lisp, it has a REPL environment. Trying things to figure
out how they work is SO much nicer for learning than an edit-compile-run
cycle. The Felliesen book recommended earlier is a great way to start.

Alternative recommendations if the prospective student is graphically
inclined is Smalltalk. Squeak is a great environment. Runs on Linux and
Windows. Plus the language itself is so simple that you can learn it
completely in a day or two. The rest of the time can be spent exploring the
huge library. There are a lot of free resources out there but the one I've
liked best is a non-free book, unfortunately.

Lastly, I have to say Scheme or Lisp. Simple syntax, interactive
environment, and powerful concepts that can be introduced gradually. The
Little Lisper, Little Schemer, Seasoned Schemer, and Reasoned Schemer book
series is great, if you like the Socratic question-and-answer method.

If she finds programming fascinating she'll eventually learn C herself if
only to port her favorite dynamic language to another platform.

--bong