[GLLUG] Meeting Schedule and stuff

Charles Ulrich charles at idealso.com
Tue Aug 1 00:33:11 EDT 2006

Caleb Cushing wrote:
> I could help you with the openoffice / koffice topic. base sucks as bad
> as access I think ;-).

Far worse, actually. Access is evil but mostly capable within its design
limits. Base is just a collosal blunder. I know the OO team had to start
somewhere with their database component, but they should have at least
waited until they had something halfway usable.

> and koffice is much better than open office in my
> opinion (except for a few bugs). unless someone can give me a reason why
> it isn't.

Well, I'm not going to try to start an argument about which one is
better than the other. I've used both and I do like them both, but
KOffice has two significant strikes against it:

1) OpenOffice has lots of additional features that cater to those coming
from MS Office. This doesn't matter much to me or probably many others
on this list, but it matters to most people.

2) KOffice only runs under KDE.

Number 1 might change over time, or it might not. Number 2 *should*
change once the bulk of KDE is running fine on Qt4, which is GPL. In
particular, the KDE frameworks and applications can be legally
distributed for use on closed source operating systems like Windows. We
should see KOffice, Konqueror, and their friends running happily (and
natively) on Windows and OS X within a couple years. I may have read
somewhere that the KDE 4 release would have an official Windows build.
(Just don't quote me on any of this as I'm going from memory and my
memory isn't known to be completely accurate...)

--
Charles Ulrich
Ideal Solution, LLC -- http://www.idealso.com