[GLLUG] smbfs fstab?

Charles Ulrich charles at idealso.com
Mon Aug 28 02:25:17 EDT 2006

Karl Schuttler wrote:
> Anyone know of a way to have samba shares mounted at boot (using
> smbmount, or otherwise), in a way similar to fstab?

First, have samba installed, which should include the mount.cifs
program. (Or mount.smbfs if you change the fstype in the line below to
"smbfs" rather than "cifs". I believe mount.smbfs is being deprecated.)

In my /etc/fstab (imagine it's all one one line):

//server/share /home/user/share cifs
credentials=/root/.nsmbrc,uid=user,gid=users,file_mode=0600,dir_mode=0700,_netdev,nosuid,nodev
0 0

I have it mounted into my home directory partly because I'm the only one
on the machine who accesses the samba share and partly because I'm the
only one on the machine.

The syntax for the creditials file is:

username=<username>
password=<password>

where the strings to the right of the equals signs without the brackets
are your actual username and password for the share.

--
Charles Ulrich
Ideal Solution, LLC -- http://www.idealso.com