Fwd: [GLLUG] IPV6

Asenchi asenchi at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 12:09:09 EDT 2006

On 8/31/06, STeve Andre' <andres at msu.edu> wrote:
> This question touches on the question of why people want to change
> kernels in the first place.  In the *BSD world the kernels are configed
> pretty well, and changing things just "because" is a form of knob-
> twiddling, which isn't reasonable.  If you are trying to run on something
> like a 486 box with 32M of ram I suppose snipping things out makes
> a little sense, but on a modern system, why bother?  Random fiddling
> can teach you things,  but I don't do it on any systems that I actually
> *use*.  In six years of OpenBSD I have never had to run something
> other than the stock generic kernel.

Ha!  As soon as I started reading your message I knew you were an
OpenBSD user.  I am as well, however FreeBSD doesn't make the same
assumptions as OpenBSD.  They keep somethings out by default, which
means you can either load kernel modules or re-compile the kernel.
The latter is my preferred way.

The philosophy begins with the devs, not the users imo.  I admit
though, OpenBSD does it right in my book. :)
--
The risk of insult is the price of clarity.