Fwd: [GLLUG] IPV6

STeve Andre' andres at msu.edu
Thu Aug 31 12:19:45 EDT 2006

On Thursday 31 August 2006 12:09, Asenchi wrote:
> On 8/31/06, STeve Andre' <andres at msu.edu> wrote:
> > This question touches on the question of why people want to change
> > kernels in the first place.  In the *BSD world the kernels are configed
> > pretty well, and changing things just "because" is a form of knob-
> > twiddling, which isn't reasonable.  If you are trying to run on something
> > like a 486 box with 32M of ram I suppose snipping things out makes
> > a little sense, but on a modern system, why bother?  Random fiddling
> > can teach you things,  but I don't do it on any systems that I actually
> > *use*.  In six years of OpenBSD I have never had to run something
> > other than the stock generic kernel.
>
> Ha!  As soon as I started reading your message I knew you were an
> OpenBSD user.  I am as well, however FreeBSD doesn't make the same
> assumptions as OpenBSD.  They keep somethings out by default, which
> means you can either load kernel modules or re-compile the kernel.
> The latter is my preferred way.
>
> The philosophy begins with the devs, not the users imo.  I admit
> though, OpenBSD does it right in my book. :)

Heh.  OpenBSD is likely the best model for not tweaking things, but
I've helped several friends over the years with FreeBSD systems, and
as I think on it, we've never had to twiddle the kernel to get a stable
system.   But I'd argue that a well defined system, which could include
leaving some things out (which you can re-add if needed) is still a
seperate thing from the i-want-to-turn-this-knob which a lot of folks
seem to do.

--STeve Andre'