[GLLUG] Re: Penguicon Gaming Machines for Computer Room

Charles Ulrich charles at idealso.com
Mon Dec 4 17:09:55 EST 2006

On Monday 04 December 2006 16:35, Matt Graham wrote:
> This sounds like a perfectly reasonable, completely doable, and
> eminently logical plan.  (So, does anybody have another plan that
> involves trebuchets and flying attack porcupines?)
>
> Also, though snes9express's interface is pretty easy to handle, it sort
> of requires a mouse or keyboard.  It *might* be possible to gin up some
> sort of frontend that only required joystick input, assuming that
> anyone wanted to do the grunt work.  I fiddled with doing just that
> (hacked-together multiple game emulator frontend using LiRC or joystick
> as an input source) earlier, but things like work kept interfering.
> Sigh.

How about this: We put a hacked version of the emulator and front-end on the
CD burning machine. To burn a copy of anything, you have to beat a particular
level of a particular game. To get Knoppix, you would just have to clear 4
lines at once in Tetris. To get Ubuntu, you'd have to conquer the first world
of Super Mario World. One who wanted a copy of Gentoo would have to beat the
last level of Battletoads and so on.

--
Charles Ulrich
Ideal Solution, LLC -- http://www.idealso.com