[GLLUG] Interesting fact about Debian Vs. Ubuntu

eduardo cesconetto eduardo at cesconetto.com
Sun Dec 17 10:58:34 EST 2006

I been playing around with a Pentium II 300Mhz laptop w/ 96MB of RAM,
I tried the following distros(in order I tried them):

-Ubuntu 6.10.1 (Installation took 2 hours, System very very slugish)
-Kubuntu 6.10.1(Installation took 1 1/2 hours, System very slugish)
-Xubuntu 6.10.1(Installation took 1 hour, System very slugish)
-Ubuntu 6.10.1Alternative Install. CD (Installation took 2 hours,
System very very slugish)
-DSL 3.1 (Installation took 20mins, System somewhat fast)
-Puppy Linux (Installation took 20mins, System fast, but very poor/
buggy package management tool)
-DesktopBSD (Installation took 30mins, System somewhat fast)

After all of this tries and some poking the net, I decided to give
Debian 3.1 a try, and here is the result: but-kicking fast old
laptop, rock solid OS, very fast boot, perfect package management and
total hardware support.

I'd like to hear some opinions on this, since most of the time I hear
(and do) users recommending Ubuntu/K/X even for older hardware.

[]'s
Eduardo