[GLLUG] Ubuntu on damaged hardware...

STeve Andre' andres at msu.edu
Thu Jul 13 15:53:41 EDT 2006

   It's really foolish to try and used  damaged hardware for anything
these days.  Having to edit the FAT is a sure sign that the disk is at
a stage where its garbage.  I've only done that to fix things long
enough to get data off a disk, and then *poof* into the dumpster
it goes.

   Older hardware which can actually do something is *cheap*
these days.  Last time I looked, MSU Salvage had 500MHz Dell's
with 128M ram and a 10 or 20G disk for $55.  Add more memory
to it and you have a machine which can run X/KDE reasonably
well.

   I'm not familiar with ext3 filesystems, but there are enough of
them out there that I think I'd have heard about horrid problems
with it if they were bad.

   Don't use hardware that you don't trust.  It's simply not worth it.

--STeve Andre'