[GLLUG] Ubuntu on damaged hardware...

Nathan Hartley nathan at ilothlorien.com
Fri Jul 14 09:29:05 EDT 2006

"Ubuntu clearly requires something like a 1.5GHz CPU to operate decently."

Could also try XUbuntu, http://www.xubuntu.com/.

I have been trying for years to find a Linux distribution to replace Windows
98 on my 200 MHz MMX 256 Mib machine and other machines that I am given to
refurbish. With all the Linux hype I figured it wouldn't be that difficult
to find a nice desktop operating system that would run as fast as Windows
98. In the end only DSL ran decently but it was difficult for the wife and
kids to work with and so they never used it. I was pleasantly surprised when
XUbuntu booted up with it's simple, clean,
does-just-what-the-family-needs-it-to-do interface. And over all it runs
comparable in speed to 98.

 Nathan Hartley
 http://iLothlorien.com