[GLLUG] Ubuntu on damaged hardware...

Ian M Walker walkeri1 at msu.edu
Thu Jul 13 23:29:29 EDT 2006

"Ubuntu clearly requires something like a 1.5GHz CPU to operate decently."

In my (limited) experience, Ubuntu isn't THAT resource-hungry. I run it on a
700mhz Celeron w/ only 256mb RAM and its pretty snappy, considering. Boot
time isn't that fast, but it works okay.

I'm in the process of setting it up as a drum machine / sequencer for doing
some home recording. Its not fast enough to handle actually recording (my
PowerBook will handle that), but it'll act as a player just fine.

Were I running it as my primary machine? I'd probably want something with a
little bit higher spec, but its not too bad. For checking mail, IM and
office applications it'd be fine for most patient people.

I was a bit surprised at how well it ran.

Ian!