[GLLUG] Collaboration

Nathan Hartley nathan at ilothlorien.com
Wed Jul 26 15:47:02 EDT 2006

> However, the idea of a community-based outreach like Nathan had mentioned
and
> Jason's suggestion of assisting not-for-profit organizations with getting
linux set
> up are great ideas in my opinion.

Most of the non-profits and churches I know, have had at least one late
model Windows machine burdened with the following:
 . Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point, Access, Outlook)
 . Adobe Photoshop
 . Adobe Page Maker
 . Intuit QuickBooks
 . Whatever photo organizing application that came with their digital
cameras
 . Occasionally Corel Draw
 . A few have been lucky enough to have had someone setup a crude file
sharing network for them.

What non-profit has an extra $2000+ for software after buying the $500
computer?

A friend of mine was just telling me that his church was unknowingly running
boot-leg software. When they found out, at first they wanted to come clean,
but were later tempted to let it slide after learning of the cost to do the
right thing.

I don't have to tell this group how on easy this same setup could be done
for "free".

Sure this could be done with other distros, but speaking only from my
experience, Ubuntu would provide the perfect base. Just add Scribus
(PhotoShop), GNUCash (QuickBooks), F-Spot (photo organizer) and for good
measure SAMBA (Windows Networking). And you would have the perfect
non-profit/ small business computing machine.

Sorry, Dan's query got me a little excited, I'll quietly go back to my
corner now...

Nathan Hartley
http://iLothlorien.com