[GLLUG] Any one familiar with LaTex?

Jeremy Bowers jerf at jerf.org
Sun Jun 18 19:36:18 EDT 2006

Julie Code wrote:
> Just wondering if anyone is familar with LaTex on the list.  I am
> starting to use it and just wanted to know if anyone was familar with it
> so I could get some help if I needed it.  It is a math program.  I
> suppose it is actually used to write textbooks etc, and it is a markup
> language.
>
> Julie

All I know about LaTeX is "Use LyX". This is especially true if you're
going to be using the math features; the LyX equation editor is actually
easier to use than straight LaTeX if you learn the keyboard shortcuts.

Not to say that learning LaTeX is a waste or anything... but personally,
unless I really needed something really customized, I wouldn't spend
much effort on it. The payoff for the effort of learning it is most
likely pretty low, especially if you compare it to using LyX. There are
so very many other good things to learn that I have a hard time
recommending it. (Just my opinion, of course.)