[GLLUG] Setting up a dual-boot system

Clay Dowling clay at lazarusid.com
Fri Jun 23 14:30:23 EDT 2006

frank.dolinar at comcast.net said:
> I've somehow managed to get some sort of CPU-cycle-eating malware on my
> home system.
>
> To get rid of it, I'm going to wipe my C:\ drive and reload a new
> operating system.
>
> I"m probably going to WinXPPro, since I've got it.  I'd also like to set
> the system up as a dual-boot with Ubuntu's latest.
> I'd love to move this system entirely to Linux, but that's not yet an
> option.

Install Windows as normal, but save enough space for your Ubuntu
distribution.  Remember that WinXP is tied to a single physical machine,
so if you've got it installed elsewhere you'll need to pick up a new copy.
 The upside is that if you do need to buy a new copy, you can still
install from this media and just purchase the serial number directly from
Microsoft.

Once windows is installed, install Ubuntu.  It will automatically detect
that you have Windows installed and add it as an option for dual booting.
Both operating systems will be perfectly happy with this arrangement.

Clay
--
Simple Content Management
http://www.ceamus.com