[GLLUG] Setting up a dual-boot system

Caleb Cushing xenoterracide at gmail.com
Fri Jun 23 13:11:44 EDT 2006

first rule. Windows goes on first. Then linux. because windows has to have a
C:\ drive. if windows creates a drive other than C:\ as it's primary
partition it can cause problems in the future with installing certain
applications, I learned that the hard way. couldn't flash my BIOS because I
had no C:\ Drive even though I had windows. just make sure you leave a
suggested 20 GB for linux... You could get away with less than that... But I
wouldn''t recommend it if you're hoping to migrate... also consider at some
point creating a fat32 partition for common data storage. because windows
and linux can both write to it. If you are going that route you can get away
with a smaller linux drive (than 20GB) and a smaller windows Partition. If
for any reason you should need it I can probably get a copy of partition
magic for you which can resize (both ways) ntfs partitions. There are open
source tools that can only resize one way. last piece of advice is have
windows on a primary partition and maybe one or 2 linux partitions on
primary. all othe partions should be logical. If you need any help at any
specific stage. email me. or you can try and see if I'm on IRC #gllugmi @
freenode.net username xenoterracide.

%$#! forgot to reply to the list.