[GLLUG] Setting up a dual-boot system

nathan at ilothlorien.com nathan at ilothlorien.com
Sat Jun 24 13:53:26 EDT 2006

> I have Ad-Aware and use it at least every week.  Same with SpyBot and
> NortonAV.
> None of the above have managed to find or stop whatever is burning cycles
> in my system.

>Sysinternals has free rootkit detector software
(http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/RootkitRevealer.html)

Two other free (yet awesome) Sysinternal utilities that are very useful in
tracking down issues like this are:

Process Explorer; this lets you peer deep down into what is running on
your system real-time. There are features like automatic verification of
each running executable's digital singature, displaying readable text in
an executable, single click to Google search a process name and oh so much
more make this tool very cool for tracking down fantom CPU eaters.
 http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html

AutoRuns; This tool will show you everything that automatically starts on
your system and does the digital signature verification, plus allows you
to non-destructively disable or completely delete tasks. To keep things
from being overwhelming, some of the auto-start locations like Explorer
add-ons (Browser Helper Objects (BHO)) are unchecked in the View menu.
Most malware that I have recently battled by-hand, when the Ad-Aware type
tools have failed, have used a BHO to spawn an auto-intall / run process.
Thus no matter how many times you kill the CPU hog or delete it's
executable, it will show right back up the next time Explorer or IE is
ran.
 http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Autoruns.html

Good Luck,

 Nathan Hartley