[GLLUG] Gentoo 2006.0

Florian Mettetal falieson at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 15:54:12 EST 2006

IMHO, if your worried about your tarballs being corrupted wget them and md5
them. That is what I always did back in 2004.X days of installing gen2. Good
luck on the penguicon server - as far as kernel panics go, dunno what your
experiance level with nix is but gen2 is particularly touchy - don't put
extra things in your kernel. Know whats in there, and know that your using
it.
Finally, as for gen2 borking another release, yah. At least the amd64 is
supported a lot better when they first tried and most of the apps still
compile when they see your use flags.

On 3/1/06, Michael Harrington <HarringM at michigan.gov> wrote:

> here is the thread for everyone....
>
> Well I normally don't use KDE or Gnome...its either fluxbox or xfce4...so
> I'm inclined to use the smaller gtk apps...
>
> for those who want a quick Gentoo install you might want to check out
> Korrora or Vidallinux( this uses the anaconda installer).

> yeah I think I notice that. is it that much better than kuruu or kentoo?
> which I believe do the same thing but are KDE QT apps instead of gtk.
>
> And GD for got to add the list again.
>
> On 3/1/06, Michael Harrington <HarringM at michigan.gov> wrote:
> >
> > you'll have to update your packages.keywords file as it is on the  ~x86
> > branch but its pretty handy...much like synaptic for debian.

> > I've thought about it... but haven't yet.
> >
> > On 3/1/06, Michael Harrington <HarringM at michigan.gov> wrote:
> > >
> > > have you guys tried Porthole for emerging packages? It takes some of
> the
> > > guesswork out of what USE flags you might need.

> > > no they haven't released an upgrade guide for the 2006.0 profile the
> one
> > > for
> > > the 2005.x works though. I've already changed. I converted my laptop
> > > native 64... all but the x86 is still on command line. I had 3 spot's
> > > where
> > > I got IO error's extracting tarballs from the disk. I suppose it could
> > be
> > > the disk... but one caused a kernel panic. I got it installed though.
> > > seems
> > > to be running fine. I don't have X yet I should soon. Seems they are
> > > putting
> > > the binarys on the disk we maybe should have waited to start building
> > our
> > > penguicon server. They are going to have a KDE version too from what I
> > > read.
> > > also hint for USE flags check out packages on this page
> > > http://www.gentoo-portage.com/
> > > here's what it says about flags for firefox
> > > http://www.gentoo-portage.com/www-client/mozilla-firefox/USE
> > > of course mozilla suite isn't the same as firefox but you can search
> > > mozilla
> > > too...
> > >
> > > anyways I bet our problem with the disks are related to QA borking a
> > > another
> > > series of releases... I could be wrong mine could have been marring on
> > the
> > > disk... those tarballs are sensitive. still the disk having a kernel
> > panic
> > > over anything... oh and gcc-3.4.4 is on the disks now. for all those
> who
> > > haven't upgraded and 3.4.5 became stable yesterdayish on x86.
> > >
> > > speaking of the box. Are we going to run firefox & thunderbird 1.5? or
> > > stick
> > > to stable? I could ask pratt (the maintainer for gentoo) when he
> thinks
> > he
> > > will be moving it to stable.

Best Regards,