[GLLUG] Gentoo 2006.0

Charles Ulrich charles at idealso.com
Thu Mar 2 10:09:39 EST 2006

Alex Castner wrote:
> If there was an option to fetch all the files before compiling them, I
> missed it (that'd be my only gripe, and it's likely that I just missed
> an option somewhere).  I had to disconnect my laptop, and didn't make it
> to the next available piece of CAT-5 before the install tried to fetch
> the next package.

IIRC, the installer lets you mount an NFS-exported portage directory.
Thus, you can use emerge --fetchonly on the NFS server for each package
that will be installed and then those packages will automatically appear
in /usr/portage/distfiles on the machine running the installer.

Bit of a hack, but it would work. I agree with your assessment. I think
it's a waste that when installing multiple packages, emerge doesn't
automatically download packages in the background while it's compiling
others.

--
Charles Ulrich
Ideal Solution, LLC -- http://www.idealso.com