[GLLUG] Gentoo 2006.0

Alec Warner warnera6 at egr.msu.edu
Thu Mar 2 10:46:10 EST 2006

Charles Ulrich wrote:
> Alex Castner wrote:
>
>> If there was an option to fetch all the files before compiling them, I
>> missed it (that'd be my only gripe, and it's likely that I just missed
>> an option somewhere).  I had to disconnect my laptop, and didn't make
>> it to the next available piece of CAT-5 before the install tried to
>> fetch the next package.
>

> IIRC, the installer lets you mount an NFS-exported portage directory.
> Thus, you can use emerge --fetchonly on the NFS server for each package
> that will be installed and then those packages will automatically appear
> in /usr/portage/distfiles on the machine running the installer.

I talked to Andrew Gaffney, and he says he is aware of the missing
option (fetch-only/fetch-all-uri) but assured me it would be present in
the next version.

> Bit of a hack, but it would work. I agree with your assessment. I think
> it's a waste that when installing multiple packages, emerge doesn't
> automatically download packages in the background while it's compiling
> others.

This fetching madness is fixed in any portage-2.1_pre release, it
requires FEATURES="parallel-fetch" for now.  Also fixed is a truckload
of bugs, as well as a new cache format so that "Updating the portage
cache %51..." doesn't sit around 51% forever.  Problem is fixing the
latter bug required an entirely new cache format and we are still fixing
bugs within it ( ~1000 lines of new code ).  I'm hoping to convince the
release mantainer to do a stable release of portage-2.1 by the end of
March, but we won't do any stabling as long as the bugs keep coming in :/

-Alec Warner