[GLLUG] Laurel Park Room

Charles Ulrich charles at idealso.com
Tue Mar 7 11:15:32 EST 2006

Chick Tower wrote:
> I was poking around on the Penguicon site, and I found a link to the
> hotel floor plan on the Hotel Info page.
>
> http://www.penguicon.org/hotel/hotel_map/image_view
>
> The Laurel Park conference room has _two_ doors, not one, on opposite
> walls.  One does open into the Huron Room, so maybe it will be locked if
> the Penguicon isn't using it.
>
>                                Chick

Interesting... I didn't notice the door going to the Huron room and the
person I talked to implied that there was only one entrance. Perhaps the
other door is considered a fire exit. If it's not, we'll probably want
to keep it closed unless we want to have two security people on duty at
all times.

The Huron room will be used, but I'm not sure for what. Most likely the
dealer's room. Also, I thought the room was perfectly rectangular, and I
thought the east door was on the middle of the wall. Hopefully Matt can
make it down there this week or next to check the place out, or I will
try for the weekend of the 18th and 19th if he can't. I did manage to
speak with a person from the catering office and she gave me some basics
on the room (39x26, 4 power outlets, 6' and 8' tables, etc). She wasn't
able to answer some of the more detailed questions, but promised that
she would get back with me.

There's still a lot of information that needs to be put in the wiki.
Once I get it all in, I'll write up a kind of status report to post to
the list so everyone knows where we're at with everything. In the mean
time, here are some of the more interesting bits.

First, we're dropping the number of terminals to 13 or so for space and
power considerations. This means we have should have enough hardware for
terminals plus perhaps a small surplus.

Second, the computer gaming people will be sharing the lounge with us. I
sent an email to the guy in charge of that (Tom Skelton), but haven't
heard back from him yet so I don't know how many machines he plans on
setting up. For now, I've estimated nine.

Third, I put together a sketch of one possible room layout and posted it
on the wiki. Without knowing more about the room's characteristics and
how big the gaming section will be, this layout seems to make the best
use of the available space. (Keeps most cords out of the walkways,
allows for access behind the tables, keeps functional areas separate,
and gives visitors a good view of what's going on when they first walk in.)

http://wiki.penguicon.org/Members/Charles_Ulrich/LoungeLayout/image_view

Comments, questions, and suggestions are appreciated.
--
Charles Ulrich
Ideal Solution, LLC -- http://www.idealso.com