[GLLUG] Laurel Park Room

Jason Green jave27 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 15:48:31 EST 2006

(grr... forgot to reply-to-all again..  ;-)

On 3/8/06, Charles Ulrich <charles at idealso.com> wrote:
> Caleb Cushing wrote:
> > I think I'm going to now really try to get us a game playing box for our
> > open source show off... I'll ask cedega for a license for this purpose,
> > I don't want to pay them... But I have no problems giving them free
> > advertising. My machine can work but I really need an nVidia video card,
> > prefferable a much newer one than my ATI Does anyone have one they could
> > lend for the purpose of this box? or have an Idea of how we could
> > acquire one? just basing what I want on price... I'm looking for
> > something that would run retail of $200 because we need the box to keep
> > up... the rest of my specs are up to spar but my videocard is ancient.
> > It'll run modern games but not well all the time. If it can run them
> > well it can'r run them pretty.

I haven't entirely committed to going yet, but I'm leaning towards
going at the moment...  It's sounding more and more fun.  :-)  Anyway,
I have a relatively powerful machine that could probably fit the bill
on this.  It's an AMD64 3400+, ASUS A8V Deluxe, 1 GB Dual-Channel RAM,
SATA 160 GB drive and another 160 ATA drive (the SATA is strictly
Linux), with an XFX nVidia 6600 GT 128MB DDR3.  The video card retails
about $160 now and has run fast enough for everything I've thrown at
it recently.  System runs Ubuntu Breezy AMD64 with a 32-bit Dapper
chroot used for Wine and other 32-bit apps.

I've been toying with Wine recently and learning the source code so I
can assist with the project.  The latest Wine runs quite a bit already
and the DirectX implementation is under heavy development right now.
Some #winehq regulars on irc.freenode.net claim that Cedega is
basically stealing their source code, but I can't vouch for that.
Anyway, if I can get access to some recent games that are marked as
Gold or Platinum in http://appdb.winehq.org, then I'd be willing to
offer my machine for the weekend.  If we get a Cedega license, then
all the better for "Linux show-off" purposes, but based on the
accusations, I'm leary of supporting them or giving away advertising
without knowing more for sure.