[GLLUG] I need the groups help...

Andy Lee ALEE at courts.mi.gov
Thu Mar 9 08:15:44 EST 2006

I haven't looked for one recently, but last I knew cyberguys.com had them, and they were relatively cheap.

>>> pdwald <pdwald at gmail.com> 3/8/2006 7:54 PM >>>
You can acquire one, I would recommend Soyo TechAid. I have one and
certainly could test the board for you (it would only take 10 min.). The
card has a digits display that shows hex codes, each hex code correspond
to one stage of BIOS, but it also depends of the bios manufactures
(award, ami). For instance the Post Code FF would mean "checking the
functionality of the CPU".

Caleb Cushing wrote:

> how, where would I get one of those? and ESD may be a factor... I've
> notice an excessive amount of static in my apartment lately I think I
> need to get a humidifier... as well as a UPS, because I know these
> lights flicker sometimes.
>
> On 3/8/06, *pdwald* <pdwald at gmail.com <mailto:pdwald at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     The vast majority of such cases are power supply related, and
>     sometimes ESD. Most power supplies that come along with cases are
>     low grade ones. The best deal would be to test the vital signs of
>     the motherboard with something such as a diagnostic card. A
>     diagnostic card would test each and every step of the BIOS, plus
>     would give you reading of all the voltages feeding the moterboard.
>

>     On 3/8/06, *Caleb Cushing* < xenoterracide at gmail.com
>     <mailto:xenoterracide at gmail.com>> wrote:
>     actually those beeps and tones would be considered part of the
>     post. Mine beebs once to say ok. now it beeps not at all. but I
>     know that multiple beeps can tell me what's going on. I used to do
>     this for a living... I guess I'll just assume motherboard and
>     Order a new one...
>
>     On 3/8/06, *Nick Kwiatkowski* < kwiatk27 at msu.edu
>     <mailto:kwiatk27 at msu.edu>> wrote:
>     A PC will require a processor, RAM, and video card to POST.   If
>     any one of
>     these are missing, you MAY (depending on model of motherboard, and
>     if the
>     speaker is plugged in) get a series of beeps or tones.
>
>     -Nick Kwiatkowski

Comptia A+, Network+, Inet+; MCP; SAIR GNU Linux System Adm. Certified

Key-ID: 500E7A68 (pgp.mit.edu)
Public-Key can be retrived from: compworld.gotdns.com/pgp.html