[GLLUG] root passwd recovery AIX 3

Staff Staff Staff at meridian.mi.us
Wed Mar 15 10:44:59 EST 2006

Caleb:

AIX 3 is a long time ago, but if my memory serves, you have a few

As Andy & Erik pointed out, if you can get the installation media for
*your version* of AIX, there is a procedure that you can follow from the
boot of the 'OS Installation & System Maintenance' media that will allow
for root password recovery.  IBM used to have an 'old AIX version' media
service.  To be honest though... I would be surprised if it goes back to
AIX 3.  At this point though... it's probably worth that toll free
telephone call to see what they can do for you, and how much it will
cost.  They would need at least an 'oslevel' to get you started to see
if they can provide the media.

Alternately, if you have a good system image tape/backup, you can boot
from the system image tape and then edit the /etc/password file on the
standard boot device to remove the current root password:

vi /etc/passwd

change the line:

root:!:0:0 ...

to read:

root::0:0 ...

If I recall correctly, all you have to do is remove the ! from
in-between the two colon's right after the 'root' entry in the file.
This will clear the password, and allow it to be reset as desired on
your next normal boot.

Without OS installation media for your version of AIX, or a good system
image, I'm not sure if you have many options other than a fresh OS
installation.

Hmm... how is IBM's documentation on root password recovery in AIX ?

Good luck!

-stephen