[GLLUG] Web Server

Andy Lee ALEE at courts.mi.gov
Fri Mar 17 09:25:39 EST 2006

I don't know what your feelings about Novell are, but if you want enterprise level support and hand holding to get you going in the Linux world they provide it. We are migrating our W2K/IIS servers to SUSE Linux Enterprise Server with Apache and JBoss. SLES is very easy to get up and running, and the graphical YaST configuration tool works very well to simplify many setup/maintenance tasks. We also run all of our Oracle servers on SLES.
I don't know if I would pay their prices for support, but since we already use NetWare for file/print support for SLES is included at no extra charge. At the state that means we have a dedicated support engineer on site during business hours.

All of the major Linux distributions have moved toward providing easy setup & use. You should be able to get an Apache server up in a day on any distributions. I think the decision really comes down to whether you want corporate or community support, balanced with corporate or community support agreements ($$$/commitment).

>>> "Mel Wade" <mwade at misda.org> 3/16/2006 7:27 PM >>>
First I'm not a Linux guru.  I mainly work with Windows. [throw the tomatoes here]

OK, now that we got that out of the way... <g>

I need to setup two Linux web servers.  There are many "flavors" of Linux out there, and I need one to put on my servers, but I need something that won't overwhelm my limited Linux expertise in but setup and ongoing support.

What can you recommend? I've seen a lot of chatter on this list about Gentoo but I haven't had time to follow all the details.  Is this a solution that would be good for this?

Mel (hoping not to be too overwhelmed) Wade