[GLLUG] Re: Web Server

Charles Tower c.e.tower at gmail.com
Fri Mar 17 13:29:00 EST 2006

Forget Gentoo, Mel.  Gentoo is not for newbies or people who don't want
to spend a lot of their time tweaking systems.  You claim to be a member
of both groups.

If your priority is ease of use, I recommend (in no particular order)
Ubuntu, Mandriva, Linspire, PCLinuxOS, Kanotix, and Xandros.  You'll
have to research whether Linspire and Xandros can be configured as
servers; they're primarily marketed as desktop OSs.

If you want stability, go with Debian stable, Slackware, or Vector Linux.

If you want speed, choose Slackware or Vector Linux.

If the ease of upgrading the servers is paramount, choose Ubuntu,
Debian, Kanotix, or any other Debian derivative.

http://distrowatch.com may be of service to you, as well as the Linux
Documentation Project (http://www.tldp.org).  You can pay for some of
these distibutions, but all should have free versions available, if only
for download.  Note that my advice is based on what I've read and heard;
I've only used Mandrake (now Mandriva) and Slackware to any great
extent.  You might consider hiring someone to set up the servers (and
their security) and showing you how to manage the web sites.  Perhaps a
hosting service would meet your needs, thereby relieving you of the
burden of learning Linux.

                                Chick