[GLLUG] Web Server

Charles Ulrich charles at idealso.com
Fri Mar 17 10:14:40 EST 2006

Mel Wade wrote:
> First I'm not a Linux guru.  I mainly work with Windows. [throw the
> tomatoes here]
>
> OK, now that we got that out of the way... <g>
>
> I need to setup two Linux web servers.  There are many "flavors" of
> Linux out there, and I need one to put on my servers, but I need
> something that won't overwhelm my limited Linux expertise in but
> setup and ongoing support.
>
> What can you recommend? I've seen a lot of chatter on this list about
> Gentoo but I haven't had time to follow all the details.  Is this a
> solution that would be good for this?
>
> Mel (hoping not to be too overwhelmed) Wade

Like Andy said, Novell might be a good bet if you want commercial
support. It's true that a lot of us in the GLLUG use Gentoo, but it's
also mainly aimed at more advanced users. Gentoo is rather easy to use
(once the installation procedure is out of the way) but doesn't offer
much hand holding so I wouldn't recommend it to anyone without a fair
amount of Linux experience. I've heard that Ubuntu makes for a pretty
decent server OS and its user base is growing by leaps and bounds so
community support should definitely be there. From the web site, it
looks like Canonical Ltd (the company behind Ubuntu) offers commercial
support as well.

Hope this helps!
--
Charles Ulrich