[GLLUG] Web Server

Mike Rambo mrambo at lsd.k12.mi.us
Fri Mar 17 13:38:00 EST 2006

Mel Wade wrote:
> First I'm not a Linux guru.  I mainly work with Windows. [throw the tomatoes here]
>
> OK, now that we got that out of the way... <g>
>
> I need to setup two Linux web servers.  There are many "flavors" of Linux out there, and I need one to put on my servers, but I need something that won't overwhelm my limited Linux expertise in but setup and ongoing support.
>
> What can you recommend? I've seen a lot of chatter on this list about Gentoo but I haven't had time to follow all the details.  Is this a solution that would be good for this?
>
> Mel (hoping not to be too overwhelmed) Wade

If you don't need commercial support you can give CentOS a try. It is
based upon Redhat Enterprise 4 but is no cost (and of course only
community supported). I can't say that I know anything about how well
the config tool (system-config-httpd) works however because we (Lansing
Schools) don't usually install X on our servers so I've never tried it.
We use scripts for most stuff anyway.

Webmin works good for most things though and supports many distros. If
you add the virtual-server and usermin extensions to webmin you can get
cpanel like controls.

--
Mike Rambo
mrambo at lsd.k12.mi.us

temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."
         -- Benjamin Franklin