[GLLUG] Learning SQL

Charles Ulrich charles at idealso.com
Mon Mar 27 00:21:02 EST 2006

Caleb Cushing wrote:
> Perhaps I should explain why I'm learning SQL, I'm trying to learn LAMP
> (Linux Apache MySQL Perl/Python/PHP) I have the Linux part down pretty
> good (hopefully pass my tests). But the other parts I need to work on.
> The only thing I really know about SQL is that it has something to do
> with databases, or at least prior to what you all are telling me. Thats
> one of the reasons I'm thinking of getting a book, books tend to be more
> in depth than tutorials, although a lot of books are crappy. I also have
> a problem with tutorials, I like to get lazy and copy and paste. I like
> the compiler vs language comparison, however can't say as I know much
> about compilers 10 years ago, as I would have been 11, and didn't have a
> computer.

I'm a big on learning from a book as well, but SQL and databases in
general are one area that I didn't need a book for. As others mentioned,
online documentation for LAMP-related topics is nothing short of extensive.

The bit of advice that I'd like to offer is that if you decide to toy
around with PostgreSQL or MySQL, bear in mind that their official
documentation (linked below) is generally as good or better than any
third-party book you'll buy at the store. The PostgreSQL guide also has
an introduction to SQL built-in.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/index.html
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/

--