[GLLUG] Learning SQL

Frank Dolinar frank.dolinar at comcast.net
Mon Mar 27 23:20:45 EST 2006

Hi, everyone,
    I'm going to add my voice to recommending SQL for Smarties.
    I've been reading Joe Celko's columns since I first encountered
them, years ago in DBMS magaxine (now folded into Intelligent Enterprise).
    SQL for Smarties will help you learn everything you need to know
about SQL, what it is, where it came from, how it works, and eventually
how to construct queries that do exactly what you need them to do.
However, be advised.  The book is not cheap.  Nor is it an easy to read
pamphlet that promises to teach you everything you ever needed to know
about SQL in 20 minutes.  It's going to take work.  But it will be worth it.
    I agree with Clay.  I've had the book for years and still find
myself looking things up regularly.  I've been working with SQL
(principally SQL Server, but also Sybase, and some MySQL) for about 5
years.  About once a month I encounter a problem or a bit of someone
else's code that shows me something new about SQL.  And when I look it
up in the book to understand what's going on, the answers have (so far)
always been there.
    Worse, Mr. Celko has recently written a revised version of the book
which is about 50% thicker and which I'm probably going to buy despite
its cost.
    He's probably the next best thing to reading Dr. Codd's original
papers on relational databases in terms of the quality, accuracy, and
depth of the content -- and he's a hell of a lot easier to understand.

-- Frank

Clay Dowling wrote:

>Andy Lee said:
>

>>I concur with the others that books are not really necessary for learning
>>SQL, but if you need a book, SQL for Smarties is the best learn SQL from
>>scratch book I've seen. That said, start with googling SQL tutorials to
>>see how it looks. You'll likely be amazed at how simple SQL is, at least
>>to get off the ground with what most people do.
>>

>SQL for Smarties is indeed an excellent investment, whether you're just
>learning SQL or you've been using it for years but want to improve your
>capabilities.  I started using databases in 1996 and I still refer to this
>book.  I discusses how to handle a lot of complex things that aren't
>immediately obvious unless you're an absolute guru.  I'm not, so this book
>saves me.
>
>Clay

*  Frank Dolinar                       frank.dolinar at comcast.net *
*  PO Box 886                                       517.351.1899 *
*  East Lansing, MI 48826-0886                                   *
* Dream big, aim high, & learn everything you can along the way. *