[GLLUG] Wanting to write my own xorg.conf

Giovanni DiMatteo the.principal.ideal at gmail.com
Wed May 10 05:07:37 EDT 2006

Well, I used Charles' xorg.conf, and it worked out at first before messing
with video. However, when I did aticonfig, I ran into a problem... It takes
a while to explain, so here's the forum post I put up on
gentoo.orgexplaining what went wrong later on:

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-460821-highlight-.html

Basically, startx crashes with a "Fatal server error: no screens found"
error, which seems unrelated to the graphics card.... I did end up deleting
the following section from xorg.conf after aticonfig:

Section "Device"
 Identifier  "Card0"
 Driver      "i810"
 VendorName  "Intel Corporation"
EndSection

assuming it was replaced by the ATI values necessary (when it was in there
after aticonfig, X crashed with a different error, which I can't recall at
the moment).  If anyone sees what's wrong with my xorg.conf posted in the
link above, lemme know... it would be much appreciated!