[GLLUG] Wanting to write my own xorg.conf

Charles Ulrich charles at idealso.com
Wed May 10 13:23:47 EDT 2006

Giovanni DiMatteo wrote:
> assuming it was replaced by the ATI values necessary (when it was in
> there after aticonfig, X crashed with a different error, which I can't
> recall at the moment).  If anyone sees what's wrong with my xorg.conf
> posted in the link above, lemme know... it would be much appreciated!

In order to tell exactly what's going on, I'll need you to post the
entire contents of /var/log/Xorg.0.log. In a nutshell, the aticonfig
program seems to have created new Monitor, Device, and Screen sections.
I'm not entirely sure why it's not working, but I recommend taking the
original xorg.conf (from before aticonfig) and replacing the Device
section with this and trying to start X again:

Section "Device"
  Identifier  "Card0"
  # Use ATI's video driver
  Driver      "fglrx"
  VendorName  "ATI"
EndSection

The only thing that changed (as far as xorg is concerned) is the Driver
line, which tells xorg to use ATI's fglrx driver instead of the Intel
i810 one. (I can't imagine how the i810 driver worked, though, unless it
somehow falls back to VESA when detecting an unsupported card.)
--
Charles Ulrich
Ideal Solution, LLC -- http://www.idealso.com