[GLLUG] Desktop wireless PCI recommendations?

STeve Andre' andres at msu.edu
Wed May 10 15:45:32 EDT 2006

On Wednesday 10 May 2006 16:57, Clay Dowling wrote:
> STeve Andre' said:
> > Right -- I believe it was the raylink folks that send OpenSBD complete
> > specs and perhaps cards.  It's interesting to note that the Asian
> > companies "get" open source, and how such organizations can only
> > help thir sales, while many (most?) American companies guard
> > their specs as being somehow special, and resistent to let go...
>
> My suspicion is that it's less about the politics of open source and more
> about economics.  The asian companies don't have the name recognition or
> the bundling arrangements with the PC manufacturers.  To increase their
> market share they need to find something that makes them worth adopting.
> Support for additional operating systems, especially those currently
> underserved by the US manufacturers, is a good way to stand out.
>
> Market differentiation has always been a strong business practice.
>
> Clay

Having talked to some companies here in the US, I honestly think
that they don't "get it" at all.  The fact that if specs for chips are
released, their products could be supported for further sales always
excites some people in organizations, but then gets bogged down.
There are comments on the misc OpenBSD list explaining some of
these conversations.  So sure, making your product stand out is a
good thing, but the cost of releasing specifications to perhaps get
more product isn't a large cost item.  I'm hoping this will change
in the future but I don't have my hopes up too much.

--STeve Andre'