[GLLUG] remix?

Bill Bartilson bbartilson at comcast.net
Wed May 24 14:55:56 EDT 2006

I experienced something very similar encoding files for import into a
PowerPoint presentation for a client here at LCC.  After the files
were encoded, Powerpoint (or WMP or Real or MusicMatch) would
recognize them as 16 seconds long, regardless of actual length.

Unfortunately, Powerpoint actually relied on that erroneous info for
actual length, and quit playing them all at the same point...16
seconds in.  A couple of files encoded as 32 seconds long without any
relation I could figure out.  All of the files were well over a
minute in actual length.

After using two different machines (one running Sound Forge, and one
running Adobe Audition) I finally gave up and added the files
as .wavs and all was fine.

So first off, I'd recommend trying to save a couple of them as .wavs
and see if the symptom disappears in WMP and Real.

I'm not really sure what encoder either of my systems uses...but the
error was consistent and repeatable across Win2K and WinXP with
commercial software from different manufacturers.

I'd love to help solve the mystery, but I'm not sure I can help other
than to verify I've had wacky length reporting with every encoder
other than standard PCM .wav files.  In fact, Sound Forge cannot save
an 8-bit file, wave or otherwise...but I think that's unrelated.

To date I've only found workarounds, no solutions.  I'll do some more
research now that you've reminded me.  Let's stay in touch on this.

Regards,

-Bill