[GLLUG] Dual Boot Imaging with partimage?

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Thu Nov 2 17:09:52 EST 2006

On Thursday 02 November 2006 16:03, after a long battle with technology,
Benjamin Cathey wrote:
> I have an XP/Linux dual boot system.  I want to image the HDD and I'm
> not sure what the best way to go about it is.  I have heard partimage
> is 'sort of' ntfs compatible.

partimage (and everything, really) can read NTFS without a problem.
Restoring a partimage-created backup of an NTFS partition should work
fine as well.  But "image-based" backups are actually more annoying
than filesystem-based backups in many cases.

> Then, though, you need to backup the partition table as well.

fdisk -l > partitions.txt && lpr -P printer partitions.txt .  Tape
printed piece of paper to the inside of the case (desktop).  For a
laptop, I guess you'd print it in a small font, cut it out, and stick
it to the back of the laptop with clear Mylar.

> have also heard the Norton Ghost can read ext3 but that costs money.

Totally not worth it IMHO.

--
   Q: How many surrealists does it take to change a light bulb?
   A: Two. One to hold the giraffe and the other to fill the bathtub