[GLLUG] Dual Boot Imaging with partimage?

Charles Ulrich charles at idealso.com
Thu Nov 2 17:40:49 EST 2006

On Thursday 02 November 2006 16:03, Benjamin Cathey wrote:
> I have an XP/Linux dual boot system (using grub.)
>
> I want to image the HDD and I'm not sure what the best way to go about it
> is.  I have heard partimage is 'sort of' ntfs compatible.  Then, thought,
> you need to backup the partition table as well.  I have also head the
> Norton Ghost can read ext3 but that costs money.
>
> Any ideas - opinions?

We've had good luck with this:

http://www.runtime.org/dixml.htm

It's roughly equivalent to Ghost, but I don't think it does Linux. Back in the
day, I would have suggested dump/restore for moving Linux partitions, but
newer filesystems aren't well supported with those utilities if at all.

--
Charles Ulrich
Ideal Solution, LLC -- http://www.idealso.com