[GLLUG] imaging further with dd?

Lachniet, Mark mlachniet at sequoianet.com
Wed Nov 8 15:18:35 EST 2006

Maybe I've gotten lucky every time, but Its worked at least 8-10 times for me without a problem on IDE and SCSI drives of (presumably) different geometry over the last 8 years, even with very different models.   The only thing you lose is the extra space, which you then need to use a partition resizer to get back.  Maybe your problem was something else?

Anyway, the better program is dcfldd -  http://dcfldd.sourceforge.net/

dcfldd is an enhanced version of GNU dd with features useful for forensics and security. Based on the dd program found in the GNU Coreutils package, dcfldd has the following additional features:
Hashing on-the-fly - dcfldd can hash the input data as it is being transferred, helping to ensure data integrity.
Status output - dcfldd can update the user of its progress in terms of the amount of data transferred and how much longer operation will take.
Flexible disk wipes - dcfldd can be used to wipe disks quickly and with a known pattern if desired.
Image/wipe Verify - dcfldd can verify that a target drive is a bit-for-bit match of the specified input file or pattern.
Multiple outputs - dcfldd can output to multiple files or disks at the same time.
Split output - dcfldd can split output to multiple files with more configurability than the split command.
Piped output and logs - dcfldd can send all its log data and output to commands as well as files natively
I'm told its also faster.

BTW, why do all your messages come right-justified?   It weirds me out :)

Mark Lachniet
Technical Director, Security Group
Analysts International
(517) 336-1004 (voice)