[GLLUG] Net Neutrality

Caleb Cushing xenoterracide at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 03:30:34 EDT 2006

although I agree with you. I do not see many techs running. who was it
that visited us? that has a tech background and is running for
something.

most techs don't want anything to do with politics and even more would
suck at all non tech issues if put in that position.

my personal opinion is that this is a failing of democracy. We should
have council's of knowledgeable people preciding over our laws and
lives. instead we get people who are ignorant on the topics they make
laws on.

I personally could care less if the telco's want to offer high
priority "tubes" for things that flow... like voip, streaming, and
games. but if it's legislated to allow them to do that then it should
limit it to that. they shouldn't be able to charge extra for use of
these technologies just for priority lines. and they should be able to
charge content providers extra at all... unless the content provider
wishes to pay extra so that all users of that content get the priority
line without paying themselves.  I think that these "tubes" should be
new "tubes" as opposed to existing "tubes" that are currently in use.
if managed right this could be a good thing, as the creation of high
priority "tubes" would remove that traffic from regular lines. making
them faster too.

as current legislation stands though I believe the removal of net
neutrality would be abused.
and I fear what would happen to the internet... looking at what
verizon has deemed to do with my phone and cellular network. my phone
is bluetooth enabled... except for all the bluetooth capablities
verizon has disabled so they can make more money... like file
transfers. also I have to use verizon's phones (they dont' sell linux
phones) an belief is that if I bought one it couldn't be made to work
on their network. this could be false as I haven't really tried, I'm
saving that for when I have a few $$$ to spend. and don't forget I
have to pay 10 cents for ever sms message sent or received, and I have
to pay for incoming and outgoing calls. so will I have to pay for 1000
outbound packets or something? oh boy will I be happy I don't have an
m$ system periodically using my packet limit to call home then. of
course I will have to disable my kernel usage statistics, call home
thing(klive) then.

ONE LAST QUESTION. I thought I saw somewhere that Net Neutrality may
be on the ballets in november. does anyone know?