[GLLUG] Know any open source graphics software?

Thomas Hruska thruska at cubiclesoft.com
Sat Oct 7 23:47:17 EDT 2006

Clay Dowling wrote:
> Charles Ulrich wrote:
>> Well enough to give the group a brief tutorial on it next week? I can probably
>> cover Inkscape if we can get one or two other volunteers, and we'll have a
>> topic next week. If not, we can always sit around and chat as per normal
>> which everyone seems to enjoy well enough anyway.
>>
>> Please let me know if you're interested. Thanks!
>
> I can probably give a brief tutorial on photo editing with The Gimp.  Of
> course I'll need a projector and a system that can connect to that
> projector, as well as having The Gimp installed on that system.
>
> Clay

If Clay covers the basics and we have time, I can show off some of the
more intermediate/advanced techniques I know on how to create new images
from scratch.  I'll do a classic "set some text on fire" effect in GIMP
using the default tools (i.e. no special plugins).  On top of being a
developer, I'm also a handy-dandy graphics artist and my fire effects
are usually pretty impressive.  Everyone will be able to follow along on
their own computers to create something similar to this:

http://www.cubiclesoft.com/Unrelated/Fire.png

That is a fairly simple fire effect that can be done by even non-artists
(i.e. those who can only draw stick figures).  Just a taste of what can
be done with GIMP (or Photoshop or any decent image editor for that matter):

http://www.cubiclesoft.com/Unrelated/Fire_Advanced.png

Both images were done in GIMP.  However, the latter one took about 1 1/2
hours to complete...and I generally know what I'm doing, so we won't do
that one.  The technique I will show you (the first one) works best with
text.  The latter technique works with just about anything but is hard
to master, requires an eye for art, and takes a LOT of patience to get
right.

When I get done, everyone present will have a good chance of being able
to do something more than stick figures.

(Of course, I'm assuming I get time to present.  Charles - think there's
a spot to squeeze me in?)

--
Thomas Hruska
CubicleSoft President

Safe C++ Design Principles (First Edition)
Learn how to write memory leak-free, secure,
stable, portable, and user-friendly software.

Learn more and view a sample chapter:
http://www.CubicleSoft.com/SafeCPPDesign/