[GLLUG] [Fwd from Wftl-lug] ReiserFS creator charged with murder

Alec Warner warnera6 at egr.msu.edu
Wed Oct 11 18:14:15 EDT 2006

>   http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061011-7956.html
>
> Kind of makes you want to reformat those ReiserFS partitions, huh?

For an unproven and untried allegation against someone?  No.

Recall that in the US (contrary to what some people seem to speak of)
you are innocent until proven guilty.

Heck even if he is convicted I probably wouldn't care.  Should I stop
using XFS because one of the developers was a kitten killer and I have
this thing against kitten killers?

I would prefer to separate the technical accomplishments from the
personal mistakes of a person.  Yeah if convicted he probably ruined his
career and history will remember him as a convicted killer.  I don't see
  how that invalidates his research into filesystems or makes ReiserFS
any less worthy of being placed into a distribution (or it's defaults).

The only argument against this (that I can agree with anyway) is that
using reiserfs somehow implies that you support him and his actions; and
that not using reiserfs somehow implies that you disagree or boycott his
actions.  And really both of those are silly in the context that
although he is the architect for the FS he is not the sole author of the
work.

Using a product doesn't necessarily mean you endorse it; it just means
it's the best thing you've found so far.  You may have no further
attachment than that.

-Alec Warner