[GLLUG] Is there a Windows equivalent to /etc/fstab?

Andy Lee ALEE at courts.mi.gov
Thu Oct 12 13:07:11 EDT 2006

Windows 2000 server and windows 2003 server, connecting to CIFS shares
on a NetApp StoreVault NAS. Mapping drives works, as long as you are
logged in. The server is generally not logged in. In this case I have
J2EE web services that need to read and write files to this share,
running on JBoss, running as a service. For some reason I can't get the
service started if I specify the user that it should run as. That might
be the better way to solve the problem.
I also want to do the same with connecting to Netware shares. The
problem is I'm connecting to multiple remote servers, and need different
credentials for each of them, so even getting the server to run as a
user that has rights on this share won't solve the problem in all
cases.

>>> Caleb Cushing <xenoterracide at gmail.com> 10/12/2006 12:34 PM >>>
honestly I'm a bit confused. you can't map network drives? or you
regular smb/netbios/cifs whatever it is network shares? you can make
it
so they aren't password protected.

On Thu, 2006-10-12 at 12:18 -0400, Andy Lee wrote:
> I need to create some persistent connections to network shares from
> Windows servers, and haven't been able to figure out how to do it,
so
> I'm hoping someone here might have done something similar. The
problem
> is that Windows shares are tied to a log in, and the server
generally
> isn't logged in. I want to somehow store the credentials so that a
> network share can be mounted and available to all user accounts on
this
> machine. On Linux I would just add an entry to /etc/fstab (with the
> credentials in a different chmod 600 file ), but I can't find a
Windows