[GLLUG] Is there a Windows equivalent to /etc/fstab?

Stanley C. Mortel mortel at cyber-nos.com
Thu Oct 12 20:13:34 EDT 2006

One thing to remember is that the original Windows NT was not really a
Microsoft creation.  They (Gates I think) had the good sense to hire Dave
Cutler (RSX-11M for the PDP-11, and VMS for the VAX) and his crew to write
a new O.S. for them.  That is where all of the good stuff came from,
including the security model.  NT was totally done from scratch and had
nothing to do with MS-DOS, etc.

The "Windows" in Windows NT was a marketing thing.  It did have the GUI
patched on top and some of the old 16-apps too I think.  As I recall,
Windows Explorer was supposed to get rewritten, but I don't think that ever
happened.  Of course, Cutler soon got the boot and NT was (as I understand
it) turned over to the Windows 95 bunch.  The rest, as they say, is history.

I am actually still rather fond of NT 4, though it is badly outdated
now.  At least it didn't have Internet Explorer integrated into the
O.S.  Administration was much more straightforward, to say the least.  Oh well!

Stan

>"Working mostly with Windows, I find their security model finer grained and I
>almost want to say ... better. With windows, every registry key, folder,
>file, share, device, whatever maintains it's own list of users or groups and
>their permissions. These permissions are specific to each thing (13
>different permissions just for a file).
>
>Correct me if I'm wrong, with Linux everything is a file with folder and
>executable bits, one owner id, one group id and read, write and execute
>permissions based on owner, group, and world (everyone else). And then there
>is root, who supersedes all permissions.
>
>This area has always struck me in an ironic way when people try to compare
>the security between Windows and Linux. I would love to hear someone else's
>views as to whether Linux strikes the right balance between ease of use and
>security. "

Dr. Stanley C. Mortel, M.C.S.E.
Managing Member
CyberNOS, L.L.C.