[GLLUG] Is there a Windows equivalent to /etc/fstab?

Charles Ulrich charles at idealso.com
Fri Oct 13 13:55:08 EDT 2006

On Thursday 12 October 2006 12:18, Andy Lee wrote:
> I need to create some persistent connections to network shares from
> Windows servers, and haven't been able to figure out how to do it, so
> I'm hoping someone here might have done something similar. The problem
> is that Windows shares are tied to a log in, and the server generally
> isn't logged in. I want to somehow store the credentials so that a
> network share can be mounted and available to all user accounts on this
> machine. On Linux I would just add an entry to /etc/fstab (with the
> credentials in a different chmod 600 file ), but I can't find a Windows
> equivalent.
>
> Anyone know?

I might have something that you could use. At home, I have one Samba share and
(had) two Windows machines. On one machine, a username+password was required
to login. On the other, you could simply click the username to login. I
wanted to have the Samba share mapped to a drive automatically on login for
some of the users on both machines. I don't recall the exact details, but I
ran into some limitation with this scenario. Like Windows wouldn't store the
password for the Samba share if the user had a blank password or something
like that.

There are numerous better ways around the issue, but for whatever reason I
chose to write a program instead. It's a CLI Windows utility written in C
that reads a configuration file containing the share name, username, and
password (obfuscated), and then runs "NET USE" to map it.

If you think this will help, let me know and you can have it.
--
Charles Ulrich
Ideal Solution, LLC -- http://www.idealso.com