[GLLUG] Re: Community Mesh Networking

Daniel Hedlund daniel at digitree.org
Sat Oct 14 10:42:09 EDT 2006

Nathan Hartley wrote:
> Anyone on this list ever think about setting up a community mesh network?

The Personal Telco Project (personaltelco.net) in Portland, OR is
reasonably active in their establishment of something similar.  They've
got a fair bit of experience setting things up and managing a Wi-Fi mesh
system.  I know a couple of people involved in the project and could ask
them to give some advice to help get things going if you'd like.

> Only problem I see is finding an ISP in the area (who will put a link in my
> neighborhood) that does not mind the bandwidth sharing.

As far as ISPs in the area that don't mind ISP sharing, the Personal
Telco Project has a list of some ISPs and their policies on the matter:
http://wiki.personaltelco.net/index.cgi/IspWirelessPolicies

Cheers,

Daniel Hedlund
daniel at digitree.org