[GLLUG] Question about Apt

Benjamin Cathey benjamincathey at catheycompany.com
Mon Oct 30 11:04:50 EST 2006

I have a mailserver with RH9 on it.  I set up Apt and was running fine.

Then I decided to set up ClamAV, ClamD and Freshclam on the same box.  I discoved the DAG RPM repositiory and proceeded to uninstall APT on my machine and install the version of APT on that site.  Then I installed their rpmforge-release package as well.
After all that (I ran update and then upgrade) something broke.  I ended up installing Clam, etc just using the rpm command.

Now, though, when I run apt-get upgrade I get this:

  [root at hermes root]# apt-get upgrade
  Reading Package Lists... Done
  Building Dependency Tree... Done
  You might want to run `apt-get --fix-broken install' to correct these.
    libogg-devel: Depends: libogg (= 0:1.0)
    libxml-devel: Depends: libxml (= 0:1.8.17)
    xchat: Depends: perl (= 0:5.8.0)
  E: Unmet dependencies. Try using --fix-broken.
  [root at hermes root]#

When I try to use --fix-broken I get this:

  [root at hermes root]# apt-get --fix-broken install
  Reading Package Lists... Done
  Building Dependency Tree... Done
  Correcting dependencies... Done
  The following packages will be REMOVED:
    libogg-devel libvorbis-devel libxml-devel xchat
  0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 4 removed and 8 not upgraded.
  Need to get 0B of archives.
  After unpacking 6588kB disk space will be freed.
  Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Y
  Committing changes...
  W: Some errors occurred while running transaction
  [root at hermes root]#

What should I do here?  Is there a LOG for apt?

Any suggestions on how to fix this?  I have tried to manually uninstall each thing and no go.

Benjamin Cathey
System Administrator
Cathey Company
4917 Tranter St.
Lansing, MI 48910 USA
Phone:     517.393.4720
Fax:       517.393.4225
Toll Free: 800.333.1972
"Service is Our Profession"

** LEGAL DISCLAIMER **

This E-mail message and any attachments may contain legally privileged, confidential or proprietary information. If you are not the intended recipient(s), or the employee or agent responsible for delivery of this message to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this E-mail message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete this E-mail message from your computer.