[GLLUG] Meeting Thursday, September 7

Thomas Hruska thruska at cubiclesoft.com
Thu Sep 7 12:09:43 EDT 2006

Caleb Cushing wrote:
> I can use mine for data backups as well plenty of extra space... I'll
> set samba up... but maybe there's a more efficient way to do windows
> backups? I'll also bring partion magic for those who are dual booting.

Well, if the UNIX extensions for Windows are installed, there is the
option to rsync...but most people don't have that.  Other than that, I'd
say FTP is better than Samba (NetBIOS) in terms of performance and data
transfer rates.  The Linux end (Samba) might be pretty quick, but the
Windows end is generally sluggish.

--
Thomas Hruska
CubicleSoft President

Safe C++ Design Principles (First Edition)
Learn how to write memory leak-free, secure,
stable, portable, and user-friendly software.

Learn more and view a sample chapter:
http://www.CubicleSoft.com/SafeCPPDesign/