[GLLUG] Meeting Thursday, September 7

Charles Ulrich charles at idealso.com
Thu Sep 7 15:28:27 EDT 2006

Thomas Hruska wrote:
> I have yet to see anyone suggest the second most important thing:
>
> Network storage...lots of it.  If college students show up, they are
> going to have 20+ GB in multimedia, papers, etc.  Whether the data is
> legal or not isn't our concern - making sure their data gets safely
> transferred from Windows before installing Linux is (and back again).
> Burning their data to CD/DVD is probably out of the question (20GB is a
> lot of data to burn).

We're operating under the assumption that anyone who shows up at the
Installfest and wants Linux installed on their machine fits into one of
three categories:

- Those who want to dual boot
- Those who don't care about the data that's currently on the machine
- Those who have a good backup of their data at home

If someone wants to go to the trouble of bringing a backup server,
that's fine, but I don't think their will be a huge demand for it.

> I can bring a router if we need extra LAN ports and I've got plenty of
> patch cable to choke a horse.  A few horses actually.  Rhetorical:  Why
> is it that power cables and CAT-5 are the most collected items?

That would be great. I'll see about bringing my wifi router so we can
have an upstream Internet connection on the switch.

--
Charles Ulrich
Ideal Solution, LLC -- http://www.idealso.com