[GLLUG] knoppix; read-write mounts spontaneously become read-only...?

Scott Harrison harris41 at msu.edu
Tue Sep 19 12:52:16 EDT 2006

Hi,

Okay... so it is a strange thing.
I load up knoppix (live cd) version 5.0.1 and
do all the standard ways to mount a hard drive in
read-write mode (via gui, via command line, etc).

After minimal writing of data to the disk (a few
hundred kilobytes), /proc/mounts changes and the drive
becomes read-only (while the "mount" command still
shows the drive being read-write).

Maybe my problem is similar (sort of) to:
http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/misc/48196-can-someone-explain-writable-par
tition-becomes-read-only.html

I'm thinking there is something to do with defaults or
errors that causes the system to, behind-the-scenes,
make the drive read-only.  I can send a more detailed
list of shell-commands, etc.

mount -t ext3 -rw /dev/sda1 /media/sda1

the above command works, but again, only for half-a-minute
after I first write to the hard disk.

Terribly puzzling over such a simple problem!

Scott